Tuesday, April 08, 2008

liverpool

I am in Liverpool doing some work...I am leading an arts project in June with ZHO theatre. The project is about a building on Mill Street (the Park Palace) which used to be a music hall and a cinema. I am planning the project which will work with children in Mill Street looking at the history and trying to rebuild the theatre as it was in 1904 (by making a model of the theatre). WE will be telling stories, making backdrops, theatre bills, etc etc. The project will last a week and will culminate in an exhibition and presentation at the building.

Anyway, I am here to do some research and meet with the leaders and company. Today I have been in the Central library finding out what is available there. I like to use the stuff that is available in the public domain so that anyone can access it at anytime. There was a surprising amount to stuff there. Pictures, playbills, newspapers maps etc etc. So, plenty to go on. It was hard work though. Usually I like to do this sort of trawling slowly and methodically but seeing as I only had one day I had to rush at it and it is going to take a while to make sense of all the info I have found.

I think I have an idea for a story and a way into the drama. Just got to have a bit of a think. Not now though because my brain has stopped and I need some food. I think Andrea and I are going to find something to eat and see a film. Sorry that I haven't been in touch with anyone else. This flying visit has been very much focused on this project and I haven't had a chance to roam beyond it. Next time - and we will be back very very soon.

2 comments:

john s said...

Hi, my name is John Sharples my dad Harry my mum Rose and my sister Rose all worked at the Park Palace.I also used to go there about 3 times a week so I know the layout,if I can be of any help in your project.

Ellen Loudon said...

john s,
thanks for getting in touch.
it would be great to find out about the layout and hear some of your park palace stories. Do you have email? Mine is ellen@ellenloudon.com. do drop me a line. thanks.