Friday, January 12, 2007

tired but happy


This is a picture of (left to right) Joe, Harriet and Elise - taken over Christmas. There are some more pictures of the fantastic teenagers on Mark's site. They drank all our beer, they ate all the food, they made a lot of noise and hogged the tv but I miss them.



We have had a plenary week at Trinity this week. Which has meant that the ordinands have had a chance to spend some time together looking at issues relating to ethnicity, worship, music, and work with young people and children. It has been a pretty packed week. But it has made me think about what is ahead of me - what kind of work I will end up doing in a parish? What am I equipping myself for? At the moment I am just trying hard to take in as much theology and practical skills based stuff as possible because I have no idea what my ministry will be like. The more I do, the more I take in, the more I experience of faculty and colleagues, the more I realise I have so much to learn. There has not be a day since I got here that I have not been challenged. Which is great, but oh so tiring.

Apart from all the useful and inspiring things I have learnt during the sessions this week has been great because I got to see just how talented, clever, generous and kind people here are. These people are going to be vicars one day and the are all fantastic. I don't always agree with them and I am sure they don't always agree with me. But seeing people work together this week, sharing our ideas, and just having a laugh has been so edifying. I am so tired though. I couldn't get up this morning and I really should be finishing off an essay. But I have a headache (too many big ideas went into 'poor old brain' this week...it has expanded and is touching the sides of my skull).

This weekend is a bit packed. My mum is coming over to babysit so that I can take Mark out for a birthday treat on Saturday (he is ** on Sunday). I don't know what to get him for his birthday though. Any suggestions please do email me.

Hopefully we will get to see Annabel and Rupert's new baby girl (Morgan) on Sunday. I can't wait - I love new baby's they are all soft and small and they smell so lovely (if they are kept clean - and I am sure Annabel and Rupert keep their baby clean). Eva loves playing with their eldest Walter so it will be great to see them.

Tonight I am off to Tara's for 'femdation' dinner (the ironic female wing of foundation). Though I have to say I am pretty whacked so I am not sure if I am going to be much fun. Perhaps I will pick up later.

5 comments:

St. Claire of Toxteth said...

Mark must be really difficult to buy for. Cant buy cd's cos you cannot keep up with what he has and what he doesn't have. No books because his books are too heavy to carry. Maybe something boring like a magazine subscription? a funky hat? TOM TOM SAT NAV!!! with john clease voice. It was a blessing to us when we were in the cottage in cardiganshire, you can even get walking routes! and you can find pubs and helpful things when in a strange place.x

Ellen Loudon said...

ooooer...sat nav! you are posh! I am not sure I can run to that...

St. Claire of Toxteth said...

get him a map then!

Anonymous said...

NO SQUEEZING THAT BABY! I know your ways.

Happy Birthday to Mark.

Simon said...

Sounds like you've had a busy but useful week! I've just spent 3 days on a bereavement course - cheery start to the new term! Was really good though, very practical and useful - probably more so than most other things I've done at Ridley!

Also sounds like you enjoyed your visit to Liverpool. Hope you got on well when you went to see David Parry.