Sunday, January 07, 2007

back safe and sound


Well we are home. Tired and happy. Happy because we had a fantastic time away. The panto was great. I really can recommend pantos. This one was Cinderella at The New Victoria Theatre, Woking Staring Patrick Duffy (Dallas, Man From Atlantis), Susan Hampshire (Monarch of the Glen) and Paul Zerdin. Paul Zerdin was the best thing in it. His little friend Sam was very cheeky. I laughed so much I nearly burst. Anyway, my Mum had a fab time - this is was her birthday treat. This was Eva's first panto - and she loved it.

Friday we went to Liverpool. I hadn't realised how much I had missed home until we stopped for tea just before we got into town. I was quite apprehensive and not sure how I felt about going back. We drove past our old house and the street was strangely clean (is it possible that the litter that blew about the street when we lived there was all down to us? Oh no that can't be true!). It was odd not having somewhere to go home to. Being a stranger in your own city is very odd. I haven't had that feeling for a long time. Thank goodness we have such hospitable friends who just took us in and made us feel so welcome. Home from home. Bob and Sue were great. Made us tea, let us invite people round for drinks and chilling out. And lying about on Andrea's sofas was just like the 'old days'.

Eva stayed with Matt and Kate so she could play with Maddie and Gracie. We all went to the Unity show The Tinderbox on Saturday afternoon. Which was suitably dark but very good. The music was fantastic and I really liked the design. Our lot seemed to have a good time. I think children like to be scared just a little bit (but not too much). Don't we all? I was so knackered when we got back to Bob and Sues that I fell asleep putting Eva to bed. Hey ho!

We went to Christ Church (for half the service because we had to get to Southport for mid-day). I am so glad we did. It was great to see everyone again. Almost like we had just been away for a few weeks. I was sorry to hear that Steve and Irene have been feeling so rubbish. But it was great to see Annette so well. Thanks to everyone for making us feel so welcome and for your love and support.

The Christening of little baby Alex was such a treat. He was wearing a tank top! How cute is he? I couldn't get over how small and perfectly formed he is. It was lovely to see people from my old work and find out a little bit about what has been going on at Edge Hill. It seems so far away now. As if I have been away for a long long time. I don't miss Edge Hill at all. The people yes but not the place.

So, here I am back home in Bristol. happy to be here, but missing everyone in Liverpool so much I could burst. I knew going back would be hard and that I would have mixed feelings about returning to Bristol - Leaving Liverpool to 'come home' here (it almost feels like I am being unfaithful! How mad is that?). Actually I am pleased to be here in Bristol - on this adventure. It is a gracious time being here doing all these new and exciting things. Seeing David Parry and thinking about coming back to Liverpool in 2008 made me realise how important it is that we have this time here particularly the training at Trinity. It would have been so hard to do this if we had stayed in Liverpool.

Anyway, tomorrow I have to be in chapel at 8.30am so I had better get off to bed. A hard week ahead of me. I go to bed tired, a bit wistful but content.

2 comments:

bigdaddystevieB said...

glad your adventure was so enjoyable... you must be exhausted after fitting in so much!

Anonymous said...

hey ellen
one day you will miss bristol too.