Friday, January 19, 2007

blind date

A while ago I blogged about missing Liverpool. It's not that I don't like Bristol, far from it, but it would be great if Liverpool and Bristol were a bit closer and I could pop back and see my old friends more often. If we could somehow merge the two cities that would be even better. Anyway, Charity was very supportive and helped me through this minor crisis. But, even more that this she has had some useful practical solutions. So, last night Charity took me out last night on blind date (obviously I knew she was the dater but I had no idea what the date would be). I have to admit was a bit scared...

But I needn't have been. We went to the Louisiana to listen to see a few lovely loud bands. I haven't been to see a band for ages (apart from the brief encounter with Orson in Oct - see previous post). So, it was great. I can't remember who we saw (and I can't check because the website is down). But I can tell you that the bassist of the first band (a girl) had very small hands and a slightly squeaky voice. They were quite good - but they had too many ideas! Which would have been ok had they not tried to put all of these ideas into all their songs at once. It was a bit of a muddle. The second band (the one we had come to see) were great. Again they had a female bassist but she shared the lead with the guitarist (who I believe is her husband - and was wearing a new pair of Dr Martins). She had well proportioned hands, and their vocals were great together. They were better together than apart (perhaps a metaphor for marriage?). I liked their 90's sound. They had some great tunes with well thought through coherent ideas. Shame I can't remember their name. I am sure Charity will comment on this and let us know.

In front of me was a young man wearing very baggy jeans who seemed to be otherwise entirely fashioned from wool. He was struggling with a camcorder that was set too high for him. It kept me amused watching him try to find things in is baggy pockets and stand on tippy toes to see the viewfinder.

I had a great time, so thank you so much Charity. I missed the last band because I needed to get home to bed. I am sure Charity will report on the last bands performance. I felt oddly refreshed by being outside of the college environment and doing something different. What used to be a weekly (sometimes nightly) event for me has become something 'different'. Wow, how times have changed!

I am off on another adventure tonight with Liz Hassell (my studymate). I won't tell you what it is but I will tell you it involves bouncing, bells and hankies!

3 comments:

John H said...

Morris Trampolining???

Anonymous said...

ahh, check out my blog for details!

Anonymous said...

Last night was fun, sore legs not withstanding. There were no trampolines involved though.