Wednesday, November 14, 2007

clerical wear/ware

what do you think - should it be wear or ware. I guess the stuff does extend beyond clothes and into fancy nick nacks...hoods, scarves, frilly surplice. here has been some debate in the Loudon house about this as I have been looking at catalogues and have been measured for a cassock, surplice, clerical shirts and a cape (the thing I like best is the cape). I look like a pudding and I am not happy about it. Even if I lost loads of weight and grew my hair I can't see how I am ever going to look tidy in clerical wear/ware. I manage to make even the nicest clothes look scruffy - a skill that I was born with. The whole being measured by the clerical outfitters - J&M was reminisent of my school days when Thomas Plant used to come to school to get us sorted for our uniforms. We wore Welsh Tweed which is the most impractical material for teenage girls - it frayed, got covered in food (it had to be dry cleaned!!) and was inflexible. I always felt spending so much money on impractical clothing that had no meaning beyond the convention of that institution was a waste and a symbol of our arrogance, affluence and being 'other'. I wonder if caught up in my response to the clerical wear/ware are simular concerns?

I wonder how long it will take for me to feel comfortable in the vicar uniform or even if I will end up wearing it all that much? I guess time will tell. In the meatime I have to get the right clothes for my ordination so I will order them as requested.

By the way I prefer the 'clerical wear' option...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right: It is wear.

bigdaddystevieB said...

Yes definitely wear! Ware makes it sound on a par with sanitaryware!
Then again.... hugs x

Maggie said...

Regard it as part of a theatrical presentation? I don't mean to sound disrespectful. It's kind of like a "uniform" - I think that it helps people feel confident and comfortable with your role if that makes sense?

Speaking from my recent experiences of arranging both my parents funerals within 7 weeks of each other in July/August and then September. When we went to the Church it felt comforting to see the person we'd seen before not in all the robes wearing the robes... Not sure if any of this makes sense!

The kindness of the clergy who spoke with us and helped us with organising the funerals was much appreciated, and it felt right to me when they met us at the lych gate that they were wearing clerical garb.

Maybe the word garb is better than wear?

Best wishes from very grey and rather damp Liverpool!