Wednesday, October 17, 2007

lump

If you have just tuned in you may not know that I have had an abscess on my neck (though I have made enough fuss about it I find it difficult to imagine why it hasn't been on the 6 o'clock news). Anyway, I have taken a few days off college to try to kick it into touch. Good news = it isn't so angry looking and sore; bad news = the doctor game me another load of antibiotics and I had a terrible reaction to them (palpitations, ringing in my head, heart racing, bad tummy) so I had to stop taking them. He also thinks it may take a long time for the swelling to go down so I am stuck with a lump the size of a medium potato (the sort of potato that would make a good jacket supper - but not a greedy one).

Anyway, I have come back to college because I have an essay to hand in (I bravely wrote it whilst on my sick bed!). Also, we are playing a game in pastoral group (a group of 12 students meet once a week with a couple of tutors to talk about stuff, have fun and do some spiritual things). The game started 2 weeks ago and today it should end. I want to be there for the end.

Today is our wedding anniversary - 9 years of wedded bliss (don't laugh - most of it has been blissful). So, tonight we are hoping to go out for a meal. When I was young and felt a bit under the weather so wanted to take the day off school my Mum used to say to me that if I wanted to go out in the evening (to Brownies or the like) I would have to go to school in the day. There must be some echo of this maternal law still in operation because this morning I was thinking perhaps I'll take another day to rest my lump, but then thought - no, if I want to go out for dinner with Mark I will have to go to college first! Oh, how these life patterns are laid out for us at an early age. Let that be a lesson to us all.

1 comment:

Tracey Wheeler said...

Poor you. Is the abcess a result of a vampire attack? It's really a bit pants when the cure makes you just as sick as the illness. Hope things resolve soon, and glad to hear you haven't lost your sense of humour over it...