Thursday, October 04, 2007

election?

Tonight I was accused of being political. A reasonable accusation and one for which I had no defence. I wonder if it was meant as an insult? To be honest I was flattered that it had been noticed. It just goes to show that challenging discourse has its advantages. Anyway, when I got home after my lecture on Paul's letter to the Galatians - where we discussed the pros and cons of Paul's perspective on gentile circumcision (I am sure you can guess why I was accused of being political now!!!). I sat down and watched Newsnight...After hearing the debate I have decided that by Tues night next week we might know if there may be an election by Christmas! Dave Walker sums it up:



watch this space...

1 comment:

just Gai said...

I do think there is a common misunderstanding of the word 'political', which does not (necessarily) mean the same as 'party political'. There is nothing wrong with being labelled as either, and indeed certain merit in being described as the former. Politics (national, local, church etc) influences large swathes of our lives, which would be greatly enhanced if more people took an active interest in them. Having spent some time in France where (often heated) political dscussions are a way of life, I am always shocked by the British taboo on 'politics and religion'. Why are we so afraid of argument? Why can't we learn to listen to other people's views, even if we cannot subscribe to them? Why do we feel so threaened?
If I were you I would wear my political badge with pride.