Sunday, June 03, 2007

trinity sunday

We have had a busy weekend and today we are exhausted. Mark and Eva have got got colds. Eva is very grumpy and Mark is asleep. Attempts to get to church this morning failed. It is Trinity Sunday and I have been preparing a service for Foundation tonight. It has taken me ages to try to devise a service that is meditative, liturgically correct (I wanted a Eucharist service and the 'official' prayers have to be fitted in) and allows for the doctrine of the Trinity to be explored without limiting possible images of God. I have found myself being distracted by the doctrine - losing sight of the point of the trinity. God was getting lost in the doctrine and I was getting muddled. The resolution has been to not even try to explain but to offer a time for reflection and meditation. Anyway, we will see what happens.

We have had visitors from Liverpool (Matt and Kate and their three children - Maddie, Gracie and Sonny). Friday evening was fantastic time for chilling out, catching up and sorting the world out. All this was done over a fair few bottles of wine. So, I had a headache on Saturday. Nevertheless we hung out here and there and played with the children and drank tea and ate nice food. It was hard to let them go home. Liverpool does seem so far away, especially when there is so much to do here.

Saturday night Mark and I went to see the Manic Street Preachers (thanks to Phil for babysitting). Ian Evans is working with the manics so we got some sticky passes. Hobnobbing with the stars was out of the question - I had a headache and it was late - we really are getting old. In the past the chance of impressing famous people with my wit and charm would have cured a headache and overcome all apathy. hey ho.

It was great to see Ian - busy though he was. We had a good dose of Liverpool people this weekend. Made us think about the future - my ministry in Liverpool, our friends, the city, what Mark is going to do when we go back, where Eva is going to go to school. All in the future. But it made us think.

After the manics I decided to read my church times in bed. I was surprised to see that Tim was on the front over of the Greenbelt CD that came free inside it. This really made us laugh. Mark posted it on his blog too. Oh Joy. Wonder what they were watching?
If you look very carefully you will see the profile of Paul Roberts just entering the bottom right of the picture.

1 comment:

bigdaddystevieB said...

Many thanks for the excellent Foundation service last night (really helpful to me!) and for your brilliant "Trinity cakes"! Disappointed that Tim wasn't signing copies of his new CD... x