Thursday, May 31, 2007

Mark's crisis of doubt

I was recently asked about the nature of my blog - I was asked the question - is it theological? I wonder if it is possible for anyone who has faith to do anything that isn't theological? Surely, if I am living a life of faith then everything I do is about God - is an exploration of God, is an expression of my understanding of God? I guess one of the things that is happening to me is that the chasm between the secular and the sacred is being filled in. I don't see my life as being one or the other. I am an ordinary person who does ordinary things with God in the middle of them.

But, it isn't just me and God. It is me, my family, my friends, my community(ies). I am not alone, I am not free to make decisions about the future alone. I am attached to people who are attached to me, and we help each other to move through the world. When Mark and I decided that coming to Bristol, going to Trinity, leaving Liverpool was what we should do together, as a family, I am not sure we knew what to expect. I had faith. I don't know what made it ok for Mark. Today he has posted something on his blog that I think helps me to understand a bit about what is going on for him. he is having a 'crisis of doubt'.

No comments: