Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Jerry Falwell

I read in the news today that Jerry Falwell has died. You can read his obituary here. It is tricky when someone that you have so many issues with dies. I didn't want him to die, but I have to say I did want him to stop speaking. His influence was uncomfortable and unpleasant. As a Christian I was embarrassed by him and felt resentful that I was often asked to justify why such men are allowed to have power and able to hijack Christ. I have no idea why he was able to say the things he said. You may be interested in some of his most memorable quotes - if so click under the picture of Jerry.

I have often tried to communicate with Jerry Falwell and ask him myself why he was so angry, so accusatory, and needed so much money. My last letter I posted here. But, I won't get a letter back from him now. I wonder if he is in heaven shouting at Jesus that the Antichrist is a Jew, that there is no such thing as global warning and that Tinky Winky was really gay?

ps As far as I know Tinky Winky has not denied being gay. His sexuality is not a problem for most of us. But for Jerry these things mattered.

1 comment:

Simon said...

Have you noticed this entry with the comment by Jim Wallis and links to various other things about him on the cartoon church blog:

http://www.cartoonchurch.com/blog/2007/05/16/jerry-falwell/

The slightly bizarre coincidence was that I was in a seminar discussion group thing on Monday morning discussing a friend's essay about what future hope, if any, there is for the non-human world. Jerry Falwell's name came up in ref to his quote that you posted a while back.