Thursday, March 08, 2007

book of common prayer




Tonight I am making my debut on the floor of Trinity College Chapel as the Deacon for James Steven at the college communion. This week we are using the Book of Common Prayer, common worship, order one. Oh Joy. As I am dyslexic and I go on panic mode with words I don't know this has meant that I have had to learn by sight the entire service. It has been a long night and morning. I am still not sure I have all the words in the right order. However, I will have the sheet to guide me - so it's not like learning Shakespeare from scratch without a script (oh yes, those were the days).

I have checked the clerical wear cupboard and found a snazzy cassock and surplus that fits (shame they don't come in other colours). I look a bit of a pudding in it though - what I look like in my head bears no relation to reality: inside I think I look kinda cool, bit rugged and am someone who can carry clerical wear; the reality is I am chubby and slightly physically overwhelmed with the sheer quantity of material involved. I will see if a picture can be taken so that I can get some feedback on my look.

To add to anxiety the speaker this evening is the director of Christian Aid - Daleep Mukarji who is a bit of a hero. Hey ho. I am sure all will be fine.

5 comments:

Simon said...

I've managed to avoid having to wear any kind of robes so far - not bad considering I've been here a year and a half now!

Hope it goes really well for you!

St. Claire of Toxteth said...

Never use the word 'snazzy' again.

bigdaddystevieB said...

hope it went well.... continue to think cool and rugged! x

Ellen Loudon said...

St Claire
surely in an ironic sense snazzy is ok. I also used 'kinda cool' - surely without irony this is far worse. I thought you'd at least be interested in my performance.
Simon and Steve
It went very well thanks. Most ofthe words in the right order. One hicup with a hymn and a moment where I forgot I had to pray - though I think it looked like a holy pause so I seemed to get away with it.
Actually it was beautiful and quite moving. I love Cramner!

Anonymous said...

You were great!

Definitely didn't look like the first time wearing robes - I reckon you will get a taste for them.