Sunday, February 04, 2007

washing machine dies


A terrible domestic disaster has occurred. The washing machine has died. I had a feeling to was coming - just could feel it in my waters. It has been looking at me all wrong since we moved to Bristol. It was like it didn't approve of the move or something. Just never settled. Now it has left us. Well not actually left us yet. Its dull and lifeless frame is sitting like a useless piece of junk in the out-house (I guess now it really is a useless piece of junk - no metaphor required).

This was my first and only ever washing machine, and whilst I obviously have no feelings for it, it does represent a thresh-hold. I never wanted my own washing machine - it seems so decadent and quite strange for everyone to have their own washing machine (I mean, what is the logic of us all having a machine that costs at least £200 that only gets used twice a week an costs a fortune to use). I would rather use a public wash-house, the laudrette or have servants who cleaned for me (that is obviously the best option). But, this is 21 century and it is the done thing to own your own house, have a washing machine and an inside toilet. When we moved out of the Grange (hippy commune for those who missed the Loudon's hippy phase) we bought a washing machine. I was the done thing. We did it. So, this 'the first Loudon washing machine' has died.

So, we have to buy another one. With invisible money. The cheapest one I could find that spin fast enough, is reasonably efficient and can be delivered when Mark is in is this one!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That washing machine on the link looks mighty familiar, in fact identical to the one we bought in the summer.

For a basic model, it is OK.

Tracey Wheeler said...

Condolences on your loss.
If it makes you feel better, the Wheelers have managed to kill off a grand total of 2 washing machines, 3 fridges, 3 cookers, 3 vacuum cleaners, 2 freezers, 4 microwaves, 3 TVs and a squadron of remote controls in the past 17 years of buying electrical goods together. And that's despite the policy of running them held together with rubber bands and blu tack until they completely fall apart.

Ellen Loudon said...

that is quite impressive. You wheelers must be housed on a layline!