Saturday, February 10, 2007

glam rock


As you know I am writing a PhD on music hall. So, I need to read books about popular music as well as theology stuff for my work at Trinity. Lately this work has been held up by a minor scuffle with the University of Liverpool about my fees and status - they wanted more money (which I don't have), and hadn't moved me to 'thesis pending'. It is nearly all sorted now but it has been a bit of a hassle.

Meanwhile my super supervisor (Sara Cohen) and I have been able to get down to some proper work. I have written a new introduction which has shifted the thesis into another place and hopefully on to another level. I am planning to get a load more work done after Trinity 1/2 term and over Easter (as long as I get all my theology essays done efficiently). So, my hard work should start to bear some good fruit soon. With this in mind I had renewed energy to do some additional reading. Yesterday I read Auslander's Performing Glam Rock: Gender and Theatricality in Popular Music which may appear to be not about music hall but actually is all about the theatricality of popular performance. It ties so well into my work - not only in terms of the way he discusses the performative of the popular but also the way in which popular performers create stage personae. It really is a cracking book. Well worth a read.

Unfortunately, I think I have put too many ideas in my head again. Stuff is swimming around. Mad dreams about the psalms, Walter Brueggemann, glam rock and Bob Marley. Hey ho!

4 comments:

St. Claire of Toxteth said...

Rock on!!!! when you coming home? it not funny anymore! get me your return date asap and i shall put a countdown calender on my myspace. i have 2 calenders so far. One is counting the days i have not smoked for (7) and the other counts the days till i have been a christian for a whole year (35) it's all going on. I miss you guys. Am blue without u! i am forcing myself to get replacement Loudons but it is not the same. They don't 'get me'!! i was really craving marks mustard gravy on friday when i attempted to make a roast. I also want your Rissotto and Bannana bread (not together) I am obviously not eating as well as i did when you were at thornycroft! i also obviously cannot sleep hence the time and this pointless ramble. When you were a kid did you ever put loose change in your shoe? when you were at school and came home did your mum (nanny king) ever immediately say 'get that uniform off asap as i am doing a wash' and make you strip the second you walked through the door? did they even have washing machines when you were young??? did you ever eat chewits with the wrapper on? i think i should go now. x

Ellen Loudon said...

I am not sure how old you think I am!? But yes all those tings happened to me 'when I was young'. Nanny King was particularly hot on getting my uniform off because it cost a small fortune (e.g. welsh tweed skirt etc). Also, I have always been a bit clumsy, messy and random so it was best to get changed for everyones sake. When I lived at school we had to get changed before tea (4.30pm).

I don't know when we will be back exactly. Though I suspect that by that time you will have forgotten us and moved on - you young people! I could send banana bread, rissotto and gravy up? or you could come down to see us...you are more than welcome anytime.

John H said...

I once read an article in a music mag where they printed several band photos of bands who adopted zany outfits (plenty of coverage of glam there). And in *every* photo there is one band member visibly wishing that the earth would swallow them up :D

I've enjoyed the (very little) Brueggemann that I've read. You probably realised that the little service I did last week was a bit Brueggemann-inspired. Remind me to tell you the Brueggemann joke some time. Pslams, glam rock, Bob Marley and Brueggemann sounds like a great mix. Your challenge is to turn it into a little service at some point in the future ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Ellen,

Thanks so much for reading my book and saying something nice about it.

Bests,

Phil Auslander