Monday, February 05, 2007

buttons


I am allergic to buttons. This is a new allergy. Recently I have found that the buttons on my jeans (trousers, skirts etc) are causing a rash on my belly. It is very annoying and itchy. Today I have decided to wear lounge pants instead of anything with a button.Which is OK but can't continue forever. I will have resolve my issues with buttons. Someone (Becky) suggested I paint the back of the button with nail polish. Which I did. But this hasn't worked.

I am thinking that I might make a little button cover out of a piece of velvet and place this over and under the button. Unless I give up on buttons and buy a load of clothes to wear on my lower half that are button-less.

Any further ideas would be welcome.

7 comments:

Gayle said...

I'm allergic to shoes if that is any help!
unfortunately there is nothing anyone can do and i just have to scratch quietly!

Ellen Loudon said...

oooer. That sounds a bit awkward. I guess in the summer you could go naked. Bit it must be tricky in winter. I am not sure I want o show off my mid-riff. I'm no spring chicken.

St. Claire of Toxteth said...

I am too! only metal buttons. I am the same with cheap jewelery and watches. Always get a minging spotty red rash.I know exactly what you mean especially with jeans. I get it round my belly button. The trick is to but low waisted jeans like hipsters and where huge bridget jones pants. That way the button always sits on ya pants x

Ellen Loudon said...

nice!

Tracey Wheeler said...

Aha! A post that's my 'territory'! Nickel sensitivity (as I strongly suspect you are experiencing) is pretty common, I presume it's just metal buttons. Certainly that seems to be Claire's problem. With severe nickel allergy you get problems handling coins and have to do so wearing gloves, looks a bit posh at the corner shop. You should therefore be absolutely fine with plastic buttons, so all that's required is a spot of sewing. Gayle's problem is more problematic, she would need to be contact allergy tested (we do this at the Bristol Dermatology Centre - feel free to get your GP to refer!) to find out exactly what, usually it's latex, some substance used in the manufacture of latex products, or glues. Allergy testing can be great at finding out what you CAN use as well as what you can't. Hope that helps someone - health promotion over!

Ellen Loudon said...

thanks Tracey. Lots of great advice...xxxx

Unknown said...

Its a nickel or tin allergy and very common, levi's and wrangler purposely use a surgical steel to prevent this