Wednesday, January 02, 2008

wookey hole



Yesterday Mark, Eva and I went to Wookey Hole. I don't know if you have ever been to Wookey Hole? If you haven't I can recommend the caves but the 'theme park' is quite odd - don't go with a hangover or if you are grumpy. We didn't have hangover but we were grumpy and all irony had been left in Bristol which made the experience a bit tricky. Mark had been given free tickets but if I had spent £38 (the price of a family ticket) I would have been very disappointed.

We went to a circus show which was basic and although the clowns were good was a bit of a sham. The acts felt unrehearsed and lacked lustre. The staging was poor and production values almost non-existent. As I say the clowning and some of the skills acts were good but it felt that they had lost heart. Eva loved it though.

The caves were great, I hadn't been in a cave for years and they are pretty impressive. How they had managed to turn something of such natural beauty into something so ugly amazed me. As you some out of the caves you can no longer marvel at the way the water emerges from the rock face but instead are faced with giant plastic fake dinosaurs and tiny weeny follies. A remarkable decision to make and an example of why the earth should belong to everyone and not to a few bonkers developers with no aesthetic sense out to make money. I could only wonder at how long it would take for nature to take over again when the whole Wookey Hole fallacy falls apart?

perhaps if we hadn't been so grumpy, if we had been there earlier in the day, if we hadn't been taken round most of Somerset to get there we might have come at it from a slightly different perspective but I can't say it was an enjoyable day out. hey ho.

No comments: