Wednesday, July 08, 2009

pop crisis

I am having a pop crisis! The king of pop is dead and her 'mag'esty (madonna) has seriously lost the plot. I went to see Madonna last night at the MEN and it was a fright...she went on very late then she mimed her way effortlessly through the first section of the concert. She danced like a 12 year old (and dressing like one!), she even tried to fool us with costume changes and at one point we were supposed to believe it was her singing under a full cape whilst sat on a grand piano (I am pretty sure it was a body double whilst she put her feet up in the dressing room drinking pop). The most grotesque spectacle was the unpleasant display of wealth and bizarre obsession with showing us her pants. Though there was a pretty good middle section where she seemed to have joined the fair and became incorporated into a Hispanic gypsy family even this was marred by slightly a preoccupation with death and the 'cult of the child'. Madonna needs to spend some quality time coming to terms with her shift from youth to middle age, enjoy being an older woman and not see herself as having to prove herself as a sexual being...there is so much more to her than this but at the moment her pain at the loss of youth is unnerving and slightly disarming. As an audience member it makes for uncomfortable viewing (and not in a useful challenging way). Because she started so late we missed most of the last section - because we had to catch the last train home - which if she went on to demonstrate that she was in a transition and was seeking a new phase in life would have been encouraging - but I suspect it went on to be more of a cry for help!

I don't want to walk away from pop. I want to see something useful, challenging, musically inspiring in the mainstream but at the moment I am really struggling to find anything in the charts that makes me want to celebrate life. I know Philly J will help me through this crisis...but I have seriously hit a musical wall. We need Cathy Dennis to write a great pop song NOW!

1 comment:

Philly J said...

I know how you feel, beloved. That's what I have turned to the fabulosity of Melodifestivalen and schalger music. There is soooo much fab pop coming out of Scandinavia that, in fact, I realised today I am listening to (and buying) more music from outside of the UK than ever before - and it sounds much better. Agnes (from Sweden) has charmed us with her "Release Me" single recently, and there are ongoing efforts to get BWO to break the UK. Darling, the world of schlager is a return to the world of pure pop... why do you think that I have been there for the last few years...

:D
x