Monday, July 06, 2009

back blogging




This was the very moment of priestly ordination (a highly illegal photograph taken by my lovely husband)


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, it is good to be back...back here on my first web-blog (having left Diakonia behind - the website that is because 'once a deacon always a deacon!') and also back after a number of adventures.

So much has happened in the last few weeks, so here is a quick run down:

- I was ordained priest a few weeks back - which was an amazing event. I was far more relaxed than last year and felt a lot more confident about my place in the process this year. The diaconate year is so important in terms of getting my head round all the changes in my life and directing myself toward my new ministry. It was far from ordinary but it certainly prepared me for the shift to the priesthood.

- I presided at my first communion(s) - because I serve at two churches I got to do this twice! It is difficult to describe the remarkable privilege of presiding I was quite overwhelmed by the whole thing. I was very stressed about it and managed to mess up a few bits and bobs but I was drawn into the church community in a whole new way...supported, loved, cherished. Brilliant.

- I have been on clergy conference. I really didn't know what to expect but was actually quite pleasantly surprised by the 3 days of retreat to Swanwick with 300 vicars. We were entertained by Roger McGough and Hugh Dennis, spiritually challenged by Jim Wallis and June Osborne. I also attended a couple of great theological debates led by Ann Morisy and Paula Gooder . It as great to catch up with old friends and meet some new people. I came away feeling challenged and spiritually refreshed (but also a bit tired - too many late nights setting the world to rights).

- I have also been to Spain on holiday to a wonderful villa in the hills outside Malaga - Villa Victoria. It was a real treat to go away somewhere very hot, with a private pool and just sit about soaking in the sun. Spending time with Eva and Mark - just the 3 of us - was a real treat too. We have not had much time together this year and a whole week was great (though it did take some getting used to!). I have managed to become 'off-white' - a nice low level tan - for the first time in years. I also read some great books, ate some fantastic food and spent some time with my cousin Ian who lives in Torremolinos.

- I am now trying to get my head together for a busy week - including going to see Madonna at the MEN tomorrow . We also are off to John and Johanna's wedding on Saturday - which will be an exciting adventure.

So, best go and get on with living the life I blog - I will let you know how I get on with PillyJ at Madonna's egofest tomorrow...

2 comments:

John H said...

Welcome back! Looking forward to seeing you next weekend :)

Ellen Loudon said...

John...your getting married THIS weekend! Saturday 11 July...xxx