Monday, June 02, 2008

foundation

Over the last 2 years I have blogged about Foundation a lot. If you want to know how many times then do a blog search and you'll see! I love Foundation. Even when I have found it hard I have loved Foundation. Perhaps my longing for it as a community has sometimes led me to be cross or protective or romantic but it has been a significant part of my life in Bristol and I am going to miss it a great deal. I say "it" but actually I mean (in no particular order) the people, the fellowship, the theology, the debate, the craic, the pub, Cotham church.

Last night I went to my last little service admirably led by fellow ordainand Philippa. As we all sat around the church and reflected on our limitations (Philippa's theme for the reflection) I was struck by just how limitless God's love is for us. There we were just 'being' together and there was the limitless love of God reflected in our 'being'. We, the ramshackled people of God, 'doing our do' - and in felt good.

As ends go it was a good one. I was very grateful for Paul Robert's affirming prayer for me and my family. I was pleased to be able to say goodbye to my friends and fellow pilgrims. So, thanks Foundation for everything.

I will see you at Greenbelt (or the 'next place') and will miss you loads. xxx

6 comments:

just Gai said...

Ever since I first followed a link from Steve's site I've been an avid reader of your blog. I regret that, apart from brief encounter at Foundation one Sunday evening, I haven't had the opportunity to get to know you better face to face. However your blogs have opened a window into your life here in Bristol which I have been privileged to share. I shall miss them.

I wish you and your family well as you return to Liverpool to begin another chapter of your life and I hope I can look forward to hearing all about it in future posts.

God speed Ellen.

jenga said...

I echo that comment too. I know you said you were thinking about what to do with your blog after you move, but I for one would love you to carry on writing here. Apart from anything I need insight into the life of a curate!! xxx

bigdaddystevieB said...

ELLEN: It all felt quite emotional last night (sorry I couldn't stay for the pub!)... as you know, I'll miss you bigtime but am just thankful that we'll be able to stay in touch via our respective blogs (whatever new form your blog takes!)... and, hopefully, Greenbelt.
love+bighugs
x

John H said...

Sorry I wasn't there for your last night at Foundation, got back a bit late from Birmingham. We'll miss you in all kinds of ways, but I'm glad we'll get to see you at Greenbelt.

Tracey Wheeler said...

Tara, chuck. See you in Liverpool? Hope all goes well in the next phase of the Big Adventure.

Anonymous said...

i think you and steve should set up a post foundation support group - think he is struggling without it out!
hope all goodbyes go well and nt too tearful