Monday, November 27, 2006

Amnesty International - Greetings Cards


Amnesty International launched their
greetings card campaign at the beginning of the month and it runs until 31 Jan 2006.

'It brings people across the world in touch with each other in a simple way - sending a card with a friendly greeting or message of solidarity to someone who is in danger or unjustly imprisoned. These are prisoners of conscience, people under sentence of death, human rights defenders under threat because of their work, and others at risk.

The campaign offers hope and encouragement to the people who receive our cards. It can also help bring about change - the impression their international mail makes on police, prison staff or political authorities can help keep them safe.'
from the Amnesty International publicity for the campaign

Last week was prisions week and in chapel on wed in chapel I wrote some intercessions about prisioners of conscience. As part of this I put together 30 greetings cards for people at Trinity to send. Most seem to have been taken and sent on. My thanks go to Bob Dickinson for drawing my attention to the campaign last year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for drawing my attention to this :)
I was hoping to find something to help me move outside my comfortable Christmas bubble this year. I think this may be it. Maybe there are others...

The first year we were married, Dyl and I wrapped a present and gave it to someone who was street homeless. That was quite fun!

Ellen Loudon said...

Hey Anna
great to see you blogging! xxx